Monday 6 November 2006

Shared Tables and special tables Issue Sharing LedgerTrans

It is possible as discussed elsewhere in this blog to share information / tables across companies, this is done using an AOT entity called a TableCollection.

I had some trouble sharing some specific tables as you can see from the error report I made and I had to resolve the issue by manually changing the XPO file and importing it as it was not legal to do it in Axapta itself.

Here is the error report or an extract of it.

I have a client who wishes to share the LedgerTrans Table and therefore also the LedgerBalancesTrans and LedgerBalancesDimTrans Tables as logical extensions to this.

In order to ameliorate performance MS has introduced the views LedgerBalances and LedgerBalancesDim.

It is not possible to add a View to a table collection in the AOT, as a consequence the view tries to view transactions in the curext() company and therefore does not find any transactions.

I have resolved the issue by manually in an XPO file adding the LedgerBalances and LedgerBalancesDim Views in the collection, this has the desired effect however it would be nice if we could do so in a "Legal" manner.

The answer from support is that it is possible to type the view in manually and fortunately it is ;-), I only hope that this will remain true.

Anyhow the upshot is that if you ever need this then you now know it is possible manually without using the drag and drop.

/Sven

4 comments:

Helmut Wimmer said...

Hi Sven! Just found your blog and I must say: very nice, keep it up!
One comment to views in table collections: it is not possible to drag a view into a table collection, but you can manually add a new element to the collection (with right mouse) and in the properties of the collection, you can write the name of the view.
This is working in 3.0 and I just tested it in 4.0 where it also worked.
Best regards,
Helmut
http://axaptafreak.blogspot.com

Sven Jochimsen said...

Hello Helmut,

I stated that the answer from the support team basically was that you could manually select the view by typing the name. Look for the ;-) in the OP.

By the by I believe that I have linked to your Blog and I realise I did so without asking hope this is ok ?

The reason why I made a support case was just for future insurance, in Ax in my experience as time goes by things that you could do are gradually tightened and I do not want to loose this functionality as it is vital for that customer.

They have 100 financial cpy's and 150 cpy's in Ax terms, with all sorts of shared information.

Thanks for the kind words should say the same to you but as I am new to blogging I do not feel it appropriate.

/Sven

Anonymous said...

Hi Sven, A wonderful blog you have. Very informative and interesting. Keep it up.

I need your advise please, I need to implement virtual companies at one of our clients, is it permissible to implement it after the client has gone live with Ax?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
Anisha

Sven Jochimsen said...

Hello Anisha,

Sorry have been stuck in a lot of issues lately so have not been very diligent in answering here.

Hope you have found the answer in between however for general benefit.

Yes it is of course possible but you have to be very carefull with the data when you do so.

The way the mechanism works when you put a table in a collection and add the collection to a virtual company everytime a lookup is done it is done using the virtual company identifier and therefore all the old data is still there but you cannot see it.

So you need to export it all somehow and add it in the virtual company.

/Sven