Monday 16 March 2009

Convergence 2009 - New Orleans

Convergence just finished, yes I go to this Ax reunion rather than the Partner one now as I am officially on the customer side of the fence now.

I noted a few presentations I found of interest notably one on my old bugbear performance issues, and the advice given I can only subscribe too, I just wish that they would consider doing some violence to the functional data model in order to enhance performance.

Specifically around inventdim which with the advent of the site in it has only grown as a performance issue, and the ledgerbalancetrans /dimtrans processing.

Another general matter is to review increasing performance by creating more and better history clean-up processes.

Today we have some processes to clean up the sales and purchase update histories, some concatenation of the inventsettlements and deletion of reversals. We could do more by providing deletion or archiving of the order tables (great for SO and PO performance) review getting rid of non critical journals (confirmations Picks and Packs).

Of course eventually we will have an archiving tool built in (promised for V6) and we will in september have one for all existing versions from V3 onwards, I somehow would not use the archival tools, unless forced too, before they are part of the standard Ax Code as only then can I tinker with it to make it work for me. From experience this is always needed to some extent with any new function made in Ax :-).

Anyhow will give links and more information later when I have more time to report on what I have gleaned from going through the convergence presentations.

Best Regards
Sven

No comments: