Friday 22 June 2007

V3 - V4 Interesting bug

I had an interesting experience the other day, actually I was pretty infuriated initially but now that I have done it I can laugh about it.

I had to create for a fashion related business a "vertical" order entry screen as opposed to horizontal one as found in Ax.

The project calls for the creation of up to 50 columns of size/Color/style related columns against which it is possible to enter the qty one wants to order.

In order to carry out the modification I used array based fields (not sure it was the best decision but it allows me to extend the screens etc quite easily) and I dragged the array of fields into a grid then proceeded to declare the fields as being visible to ther elements.

Then I tried to call them but stubornly the pre-compiler treated the call as an error and would not allow me to look up the fields.

Strange ? They were declared I tried debugging my form and in the debugger I had all the functions properly declared as they should be.

Thinking it was a problem with the length of the names I renamed a field, then the system said illeagal name ? Interesting, apparently when you drag the fields on to the grid they are autonamed with a [xx] extension name based on the array element they represent however [ ] are not leagal names for fields :-).

So I had to go through and rename all my fields if I wanted access to them in the grid. Wonderfull stuff ! Not !

Anyhow have reported it to one of our partners and hopefully he will get them to change it at some time in the future.

Take Care and Have Fun
Sven

No comments: